1997-05-02 - Re: Layoffs at PGP

Header Data

From: Wesley Felter <wesf@mail.utexas.edu>
To: “Cypherpunks” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 99d0b2835e933c657ae0a30e08d22c5d76c30cd0ed5e6593d19de7faa4a54374
Message ID: <199705020303.XAA10083@relay1.smtp.psi.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 11:13:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Wesley Felter <wesf@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 11:13:14 +0800
To: "Cypherpunks" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: Re: Layoffs at PGP

On 5/1/97 6:41 PM, Martin Janzen said:

>Well, PGP spokesman Mike Nelson wins the award for the Freudian slip of
>the day:
>
>    "Internet Fast-Forward is not as closely related to the tools we
>    develop for individuals for privacy," he said. And the fact that
>    Fast-Forward filters ads which are an "inimical part of some of the
>                                           ^^^^^^^^
>    emerging Web commerce models ... we don't want to hinder this
>    development."

Unless you take it to mean that banner ads are important for "emerging
Web commerce models" which is what PGP doesn't want to hinder the
development of, in which case I'd say that IFF is inimical indeed. Both
ways, they lose.

| Wesley Felter                 | Have you ever had your phone tapped   |
|                               | by the government?     YOU WILL.      |
| wesf@mail.utexas.edu          | And the company to bring it to you:   |
| http://adhoc.com.inter.net/   |                  AT&T                 |