1997-05-17 - Re: Civil Disobediance

Header Data

From: nobody@hidden.net (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: bbcc38ddff899a18d3dd06d850ceef75d115f518fb10d7d773a28515a6265c3e
Message ID: <199705171254.FAA02714@jefferson.hidden.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 23:33:02 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@hidden.net (Anonymous)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 23:33:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Civil Disobediance

On Fri, 16 May 1997, tzeruch@ceddec.com wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 1997, Huge Cajones Remailer wrote:
>> "All that matters is how we die: shall we offer our bodies
>> helplessly, like cattle, to the knife, or, refusing passively to
>> await the end shall we turn the strength of our anger to one last
>> battle, til, daring and doing, we fall, drenched with their blood,
>> amongst the heaped bodies and weapons of our dying enemies?"  --
>> Livy Book XXV
>
> They couldn't move with their wealth out of the way, so the
> alternatives were limited.

The passage above appears in the discussion of the betrayal to the
Carthaginians of the Roman commander Gracchus by his "friend" Flavus
Gracchus makes this declaration to his men before they fought their
enemies to the death.

The protection of personal wealth was only weakly connected with the
events described.

Dr. Roberts

Thread