1997-05-12 - Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

Header Data

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c943b8f0049fa7cc4e11aac49bf4a1fde55057fb8d85b1cb25f91c4948917fb5
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970512134334.0096fca0@gateway.grumman.com>
Reply To: <3.0.1.32.19970508230144.00947a40@gateway.grumman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-12 18:08:24 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 02:08:24 +0800

Raw message

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 02:08:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

________________________ R i c k   O s b o r n e ________________________

To which Vulis wrote:
>Your lack of ethics, rather.  You choose to work for someone who chooses
>to use inadequate Microsoft software, and you brandish these choices as
>an excuse to interfere with somene's free speech.

I'm not brandishing anything as an excuse, simply stating this: I should
not have to walk through the street (get my email) wearing 4 inches of
kevlar (using spam filters), *just in case* someone decides to whip out a
submachine gun (spam).  It should not me my job to defend myself from
psychos, rather people should have to ask my permission to infringe upon my
space and time.

Microsoft (and I can't believe I'm saying this) actually is doing it right
for a change: when you sign up to be a part of any of their "clubs" (SBN,
etc), you get asked if you want to receive further mail.

How am I taking away from Sanford's right to free speech by just spamming
him back?  I sgree with this weekend's discussion on arp attacks:
technically, they should be no different than spam attacks.  WHy then
should he (or whoever) have the right to spam me without fear of retribution?

>I'm fairly confident that they will withstand whatever attacks these
>half-brained wannabe hackers and anti-free-speech hooligans can invent.

Actually, and this is just MHO, I don't really care if the 100 or so
spams/arps I send them are but a mosquito's bite to them.  It makes *me*
feel better.  I'm not in this necessarily to shut anyone down (though it
would be a nice side-effect), just to annoy them as much as they annoy me.
Like I said, I'm more of the passive-agressive type, so I'm not here to
wage a war, just a few small skirmishes.
_________ o s b o r n e @ g a t e w a y . g r u m m a n . c o m _________
"A heart of gold beats under that big fiberglass croissant, Arthur.  And
thank goodness for it!  It's spirit like hers that allowed us to thwart
Chairface's evil scheme and thwart we did."

Thread