1997-05-14 - Re: The Inducement of Rapid Oxidation of Certain Materials….

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cea14ff36390d7d3b4d77e31dc8f8e1db944e631bfd77a8b7260c2a0d299acb0
Message ID: <v03007806af9eed1804f5@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.1.32.19970512171524.028df2c8@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-14 03:36:24 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:36:24 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:36:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Inducement of Rapid Oxidation of Certain Materials....

At 6:34 PM -0800 5/13/97, Kent Crispin wrote:

>First of all, it neglects to consider that governments may have
>prevented more murders than they caused.  This is unknowable, since
>we don't have any worthwhile control cases.  (I suppose we
>might examine a state of anarchic chaos (eg Rawanda) and compare the
>percentage of murders...but such cases are symptoms of other human
>ills, and cannot be used as a meaningful comparison, I believe.)

Rwanda (or Ruwanda, or...) is a _very_ poor example to pick, as this was
not any kind of anarchy such as any of us have ever advocated. Rather,
Rwanda was a near-textbook example of one tribal faction (Hutus or Tutsis)
coming to power and inititiating a pogrom against the rival faction (Tutsis
or Hutus).

Calling this an "anarchy" is comparable to calling the pogrom by the Third
Reich against Jews, gypsies, cripples, and others an example of anarchy.

The rest of Kent's analysis is not worth my time to read and comment upon.

--Tim May