1997-05-05 - Re: Bypassing the Digicash Patents

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
Message Hash: d8bee91e7e856766bf3a24e1a1bdc7278ff337ddde17843edd1b19334d49e555
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.970505145243.4838G-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <199705041819.LAA00411@crypt.hfinney.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-05 19:39:32 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 03:39:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 03:39:32 +0800
To: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
Subject: Re: Bypassing the Digicash Patents

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Hal Finney wrote:

> Presumably records are kept to protect against various risks.  Without
> that protection, you need other means to control the risk.  But if those
> means exist and they are cheaper than record-keeping, then again even
> without anonymity it should be cheaper to use those methods in place of
> the records.

Records are kept for (a) tax compliance, (b) as a way of further
marketting spam that tracks usage/purchase patterns.  Presumably the
marketting weasels require this info because of their belief that doing
so will increase sales in the long run.

> (One possible explanation is that it would be a regulatory effect.
> People are forced by the government to keep records, to their detriment,
> that they would prefer not to keep.  With anonymous bearer certificates
> it would not be possible to keep the records so people might hope to
> escape the regulations.  However the problem with this reasoning is that
> the same forces which require the record-keeping would be likely to ban
> the use of instruments which prevent keeping records.)

I'd predict that in such cases mom & pop candy stores and small grocery
stores wouldn't bother with record keeping, while big huge stores with
marketting spam budgets would.

Though all things considered some record keeping is needed for inventory
tracking, employee pay, etc.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "So make a move and plead the fifth,   |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|  'cause you can't pleade the first!"   |/\|/\
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  | For with those which eternal lie, with |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"| strange aeons, even death may die.     |.....

Thread