1997-05-01 - Re: Why I delete cc;s to other mailing lists

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: tcmay@got.net
Message Hash: d9ff814a4344e7037ab8e72f7def2787c05802f7211b421b3238c1462c4c718d
Message ID: <199705011012.LAA02200@server.test.net>
Reply To: <v03007801af8deee5c0d0@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-01 10:36:30 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 18:36:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 18:36:30 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net

Tim May <tcmay@got.net> writes:
> I once unintentionally forgot to delete the "cryptography@c2.net" cc: on a
> reply I made to what (I assumed) was a Cypherpunks message, and received a
> Perrygram stating that my message was off-topic and was not welcome on his
> list.

The Bcc approach avoids this problem as you don't see the Cc's, so
they only last for one post.  That's if you have an interest in
posting there at all.

I've also had negative experiences of cross posting, (I did it to
coderpunks and got a Futplexgram, followed by a threat of
unsubscription.  Pissed me off somewhat.  Also again lately following
up to someone else, which earned maybe 10 people a more polite
multiply Cc'd: please don't cross-post note from Raph).

Perry just silently nukes stuff, or says that's enough on this topic
(chop).

> Clearly Perry has the right to run _his_ list any way he wishes to, just as
> Declan has the right to run _his_ list any way he wishes to, just as Bob
> Hettinga has the right to run _his_ list (or lists) as he wishes, and just
> as Lewis McCarthy has the right to the run _his_ "Coderpunks" list as he
> wishes, and so on.
>
> However, I think these "personal" lists are not to my taste, I don't want
> Perry or Declan or Bob or Lewis deciding whether my articles match their
> interests at the time I submit an article.

I don't either.  My only interest in posting to these lists at all is
that some people hang out there who don't read cypherpunks.  I got a
reply from Ron Rivest on the hashcash stuff as it related it to his
and Shamir's MicroMint payment system.  I presume from reading it on
coderpunks or cryptography where I forwarded copies.

> I routinely delete all of the cc:s to other lists, figuring if people want
> to read my stuff they can damn well subscribe to the Real Thing, the
> Cypherpunks list.

So what you're saying is that you boycott them in effect, you don't
send your writings to censored lists, and if they want to read your
writing, they've got to read The List.  Well the more quality content
that comes to cypherpunks first, or exclusively to cypherpunks until a
3rd party forwards it the better, as this adds to cypherpunks
reputation, and increases the value of and interest in the list.

My attitude is leaning this way also.  I post most things to
cypherpunks first.  The others I consider in effect forwards of
material posted to cypherpunks.

Adam