1997-05-10 - Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@amaranth.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: daf690954829ca0f283fc0b10114c75cdb59435674d5351e60fb7604eeadb041
Message ID: <199705101543.KAA12872@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Reply To: <v03007800af99ae300ca9@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-10 16:01:59 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 00:01:59 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 00:01:59 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

In <v03007800af99ae300ca9@[207.167.93.63]>, on 05/09/97 at 10:53 PM,
   Tim May <tcmay@got.net> said:

>At 7:46 AM -0800 5/9/97, Ray Arachelian wrote:

>>Filtering isn't the point.  Just as you have the right to free speech,
>>you also have the right to ignore someone else's speech as it is aimed at
>>you.  If you don't want Cyberspammo to spam you, they should honor your
>>request to take their crap elsewhere.

>Much as it pains me to dispute my usual ideological ally Ray A., the "they
>should honor your request" is problematic.

>If by this Ray means "as decent human beings they should," then, well,
>perhaps so.

>If, however, Ray means "they should, or something should be done," then,
>of course, we disagree.

>(If Ray means something in between, then he should say more about what he
>means.)

>Fact is, so long as anybody is free to send a message to someone else,
>then what Wallace, Cantwell, Vulis, et. al. are doing is legit. Legit in
>the sense of not breaking any laws. Whether tasteful or not, legit.

Yes this is true just as it is ligit for me to make arp request to their
routers, lots of arp requests <EG>. There is nothing ilegal from me sending
such a request nor is their any limitation on the number of request that I
make.

As far as the "denial of service" problem that is theirs not mine. After
all they were not concerned with the problems they caused by dumping
+1,000,000/day e-mail messages on AOL's servers so why should anyone be
conserned with their network problem?

>>The problem I have with them is that while they do say "Send email here
>>to never be spammed again" it doesn't work.  They don't honor the
>>deletion requests.  You wind up on some other dweeb's spam queue also
>>from cyberspam. :(

>Indeed, saying you don't "want" more advertisements is, for all practical
>purposes, saying "Send me more!!!!"

>So?

Yep and sending me spam is saying "Make more arp requests!!!!"

So?

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

Finger whgiii@amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info

Tag-O-Matic: Windows isn't crippleware: it's "Fuctionally Challenged"

Thread