1997-05-30 - Re: How much you lose under Social Security – socialsecurity.org

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: sunder@brainlink.com (Ray Arachelian)
Message Hash: e0862e6d191d0e8e2b3d64b6f96fbebab9a14a23628a5cfc8f713ae775e38c86
Message ID: <199705302305.SAA17152@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.96.970530154726.11689B-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-30 23:18:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 07:18:25 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 07:18:25 +0800
To: sunder@brainlink.com (Ray Arachelian)
Subject: Re: How much you lose under Social Security -- socialsecurity.org

Ray Arachelian wrote:
> This is really a double tax since if you own assets, you've already paid
> taxes on those said assets in the form of income tax.  If it's an
> inheritance, that too was taxed, so what the fuck?  What's the
> justification behind this other than exit rape?

The problem is that capital gains can be used to pay people money
and avoid income taxation.

Example: suppose that I hire you to design my website. Instead of
paying you $10,000, I sell you a security for $1,000 and repurchase it
from you next year for $12,000. As a result, you would not have to pay
the feds anything if there was no capital gains tax.

There are many ways in which this can be done by individuals and
companies alike.

I would rather use sales tax and repeal both capital gains tax and
income tax, than get rid of capital gains tax but not of the income tax.

igor

Thread