1997-05-20 - Re: Jim Bell 2

Header Data

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
To: jya@pipeline.com
Message Hash: f588cc033b4b27b098f5d5395f78c17a4f7ee6b191144bec10b28ecb6fdceef6
Message ID: <199705201930.MAA17981@slack.lne.com>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19970520173416.008a2f4c@pop.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-20 20:00:25 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:25 +0800
To: jya@pipeline.com
Subject: Re: Jim Bell 2

John Young writes:

Thanks for posting this.

>    The Oregonian, May 20, 1997, Metro Section P-1:
>
>    IRS says suspect discussed sabotage
>
>       An affidavit says a Vancouver man arrested Friday talked of
>       sabotaging Portland's 9-1-1 computer and Bull Run water
>
>    By John Painter, Jr., of the Oregonian staff
>
>    Vancouver, Wash. -- A Vancouver man arrested Friday by Internal
>    Revenue agents discussed sabotaging the computers in Portland's
>    9-1-1 center and talked about using a botulism toxin to contaminate
>    the Bull Run water supply, a federal agent said Monday.
>
>    James Dalton Bell, 38, appeared Monday afternoon in U.S. District
>    Court in Tacoma and was accused in an 18-page affidavit of scheming
>    to overthrow the U.S. government.

The _IRS_ can arrest people for 'scheming to overthrow the U.S. government' !?

I thought that was the FBIs job.  I'm sure they'd have wanted to be
in on it if he was as big a terrorist as they're making him out to be.
Maybe the FBI that the bulk of the charges are bogus and wanted nothing to
do with them, but the IRS went ahead anyhow to harass him and to
justify their earlier search.  Food for thought and grounds for
further research...

--
   Eric Murray  ericm@lne.com         Privacy through technology!
  Network security and encryption consulting.    PGP keyid:E03F65E5

Thread