1997-06-06 - Dimitri McVeigh

Header Data

From: lucifer@dhp.com (lucifer Anonymous Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 05be7f1a6c78f864332bccdcb90ee515caabf7304691767b8d961aad19eee9dc
Message ID: <199706060336.XAA23074@dhp.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 20:36:04 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: lucifer@dhp.com (lucifer Anonymous Remailer)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 20:36:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Dimitri McVeigh

Adam Back wrote:
> Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu> writes:
> > I'll accept that the ranting faction do some good work but I've
> > not seen anything usefull out of either Bell or Vulis unless that
> > is you are an FBI agent looking to get a promotion from Freeh.

> Dimitri rights code sometimes.  He wrote a cancel-bot.  Very
> constructive piece of work in an indirect way.  See: having nice
> freely available cancel-bots enables technically clueless, would
> be-censors to censor more.  They censor more, and cause a nuisance for
> themselves sending out tons of cancel messages.  This incentivizes
> more and more people to ignore cancels (the trend in news
> administration these days I understand is to ignore cancels entirely),
> which means that you can't have your USENET posts censored nearly as
> easily.

  Dimitri has long pushed the envelope of censorship and challenged
those who don't like it to do something about it.
  The reason that Hallam-Baker is able to post thinly veiled "Dimitri
is a cocksucker!" messages to the list is because Dimitri refused to
lay down and quit when he was forcibly censored for his "Gilmore is
a cocksucker!" messages. If the censorship coupe d'etat had succeded,
then Hallam-Baker's post would have been trashed into the flames list.

  Dimitri and others, such as the Freedom-Knights, made it possible to
"route around" the censorship of USENET posts to such an extent that
any attempt I might make to censor Hallam-Baker's demeaning of Dimitri
on USENET would have little effect.
  The bottom line is that Hallam-Baker's demeaning of Dimitri without
facing censorship on this list and on USENET is partly the result of
the efforts of Dimitri, himself, to fight censorship.
  This is not surprising, since, after all, Dimitri is a cypherpunk.
(Despite all of his claims to the contrary.)

TruthMonger

Thread