1997-06-03 - Re: Comments on the Macintosh

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: vinnie@webstuff.apple.com
Message Hash: 13dc2f0384c2aca7e01719c620e5f1e9dc106c26688ceaf5f5040da465bc79a9
Message ID: <199706021933.UAA00605@server.test.net>
Reply To: <v03102803afb8af25877d@[17.203.21.78]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-03 00:06:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:06:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:06:07 +0800
To: vinnie@webstuff.apple.com
Subject: Re: Comments on the Macintosh

Vinnie Moscaritolo <vinnie@webstuff.apple.com> writes:
> Tim May <tcmay@got.net> writes:
> >.the Mac OS is of course still missing basic OS features such as... memory
> >>protection.)
>
> Tim,.I am suprised to hear you whining with such a liberals voice..  I
> always thought that  demanding memory protection in an OS  is a lot like
> demanding that the government is responsible for protecting you from
> anything that might go bad.. If applications are well written, then you
> really dont need the memory partitions in a personal computer.

Are you serious?  Or are you pulling our leg?

>  That is if application writers would take responsibility for thier own
> apps...

People write crap software.  Microsoft writes crap software.  If the
OS reboots or freezes every time a microsoft app dumps core on you, it
gets tedious.  If you are developing software you don't want a reboot
just 'cause you got a stray pointer.

Real multi-tasking is kind of nice too, like when the mouse cursor
still functions, and your system still runs while copying a file to a
floppy disk.  (The entire system freezes for the duration of the
operation with win3.1, and I think it is still noticeable in win95.
Linux where as you wouldn't know there was a floppy being copied if
you didn't glance down at the drive light.)

Adam