1997-06-13 - Re: Flag Burning…

Header Data

From: Jim Burnes <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
To: RS <panther@writeme.com>
Message Hash: 17d2a26cd060996f8c99758fc308f98752377f3b09d5c1b5b2929b0b7c8beb12
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970613105102.3733A-100000@westsec.denver.ssds.com>
Reply To: <199706130521.BAA13934@ren.globecomm.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-13 17:21:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:21:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Burnes <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 01:21:11 +0800
To: RS <panther@writeme.com>
Subject: Re: Flag Burning...

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, RS wrote:

> When it comes down to flag burning, It really bothers me that we allow our
> symbol of freedom to be burned.  It's more than a flag and a right.  It's a
> symbol of the freedom we have.  To allow someone to publicly burn a flag is
> essentially displaying our freedom being burned.
>
> Bush was a veteran, and Clinton was not.  I take it the ones who are
> writing on this subject about how we should have the "freedom" to burn the
> flag have never served in the military or for our country.
>
> Being a veteran myself, I find it very distateful to allow anyone on our
> soil to be allowed to "BURN" our symbol of freedom.  Think about the flag
> for a moment and what it really stands for.  Does it not stand for freedom
> and liberty?
>
> Sorry, I just had to let this out.  I stand behind Bush on this one.  Don't
> burn the flag unless you would like to live under another flag!

Being a veteran, you should be aware of the freedoms for which you
risked your life.  You are assuming that burning of our flag is intended
to insult the tenets of freedom our country used to be based on.
(unfortunately only for europeans)

Maybe what the person is saying is that "our freedom is going up in
flames".  Considering the barbeque at Waco I would consider this the
ultimate political statement.

"Church burning.  Its not just for racists anymore!"

(sorry i digress)

Political speech.  Love it or shut the hell up.

Just because you find it offensive doesn't mean you should change the
constitution.  Should we amend the constitution to prosecute people
who pick their noses in public, say the f-word or insult your favorite
religion?

Man!  Time to take a civics 101 class.

Jim Burnes
son and nephew of people who