1997-06-21 - Re: [EFGA] WE won our court case!! (fwd)

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Costner” <pooh@efga.org>
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 1e0211609bbd94f3735324369447974196a800752b435354e030c32658b2fe7b
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970621004346.0352fafc@mail.atl.bellsouth.net>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970620231443.037409d4@mail.atl.bellsouth.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-21 05:12:16 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 13:12:16 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Costner" <pooh@efga.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 13:12:16 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [EFGA] WE won our court case!! (fwd)

At 09:05 PM 6/20/97 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
>Well, in some places, it's an expression of excitement, and it was intended
>as such here.  I guess some things don't translate well to ASCII,
>given that you seem to think I was picking on you?
>
>The Georgia law was a bad one, and needed overturning.
>I hadn't realized you were running EFGA on that small a scale,
>so I'm even more impressed that you succeeded.

OK.  I misread your intentions.  It's just my first couple of postings on
cyberpunks were not received well.  I finally attributed it to the apparent
mistaken belief that EFGA was something more than smoke and mirrors.  Of
course some of it is the fact that I am still learning about this stuff.

Remailers is a very appropriate mail group.  Our press release stated that
with the law out of the way, we can now set up an anonymous remailer, which
we have done.  (anon.efga.org)  EFGA has just won a censorship lawsuit, set
up a PGP keyserver, started a remailer and nym server, and have a lot of
things on our plate.  I almost long for the days when we sat around
complaining how powerless we were.  Now that the people in charge are
listening to us, I'm not sure we know the answers any longer.

The battle against this law was a difficult one.  At first we had the
standing issue.  Since it was such a ridiculous law, and for various other
reasons, we were told we would never get into court with it.  Though almost a
year has passed since we filed the case, I was still wondering if the judge
would throw this out as of yesterday.

When EFGA was first formed, we had public meetings at the local ACLU offices.
 We had hoped they would mount a legal challenge to the law for us.  I don't
have the exact numbers, but the local ACLU gets about 300 requests per month,
and only is able to work on about three cases each month.  Ours just wasn't
strong enough according to them.  Mitchell Kaye, one of the co-plaintiffs in
the suit is an elected Georgia House of Representatives member who had spoken
out against the law, so we invited him to a meeting at Denny's.

Mitchell did some checking and found an attorney who would talk to us.  We
had a series of meetings, and became the first group to sign on as a
plaintiff.  In fact, we incorporated just so we could become a plaintiff.
Also, after Scott McClain of Bondurant, Mixson, and Elmore had done some pro
bono work, we were able to take this back to the ACLU and get them involved.
Later the national ACLU got involved, then the lawsuit finally got real.

We really had some good breaks along the way, but we put a lot of hard work
into it as well.  If the ACLU hadn't been willing to take it on and
underwrite the cost, we never would have gotten anything done.

Now we have taken on the task of pushing strong crypto and privacy on the
State.  I've demo'ed PGP at various places and we have some gov't agencies
thinking about using PGP as a cost savings business tool.  If we can't win
the crypto debate in congress, will win by going in through the back door.

  -- Robert Costner                  Phone: (770) 512-8746
     Electronic Frontiers Georgia    mailto:pooh@efga.org
     http://www.efga.org/            run PGP 5.0 for my public key

Thread