1997-06-13 - Re: FUCK YOU: There’s no general right to privacy – get over it, from Netly

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Message Hash: 2ba8cc76f011a2a569bfc0b46360febfcb8ccfc88a1dd20f36cac1d2d86caa49
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970613083909.27747Q-100000@well.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.96.970613112827.23715F-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-13 16:19:48 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:19:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:19:48 +0800
To: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Subject: Re: FUCK YOU: There's no general right to privacy -- get over it, from Netly

It's sad but not surprising that Ray didn't even bother to read the
article before saying "FUCK YOU." Talk about clueless...

He still misunderstands my position. I'm saying you have no property right
in information others collect about you.

> How many loons have used DMV records to stalk their victims?

How many loons have used newspaper reports to stalk their victims?

> How about the nice Netscape hole that allows sites to surf your hard drive
> as you're surfing their sites?

Great. You want Congress to pass a law that says "Netscape shall release
no more buggy browsers." Yeah, and mandate that pi is 3.14, right?

> Yes, I do take privacy seriously, and I do protect it.  But to say anyone
> has the right to snoop my machines and see what I have there is NOT cool.
> What I leave on my computer is my private business, and NOBODY HAS THE
> RIGHT TO SURF IT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.  Whether or not they have root.

I'm not saying that people have a "right to surf (?) it without your
permission." That's a violation of your property rights, a trespass. But
if you connect to my web site, I should be allowed to record whatever info
leaks from your computer. Don't like it? Cut the flow or don't come.

-Declan

Thread