1997-06-24 - Your surfing days are over

Header Data

From: Shift Control <nobody@faust.guardian.co.uk>
To: shiftcontrol@nml.guardian.co.uk
Message Hash: 2cf305455a9299d26435208a33024174ff1ee2f1275a46f21348e69ea2551890
Message ID: <199706231000.LAA01508@faust.guardian.co.uk>
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 17:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Shift Control <nobody@faust.guardian.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 17:19:58 -0700 (PDT)
To: shiftcontrol@nml.guardian.co.uk
Subject: Your surfing days are over

This week, in the Seaside Issue of Shift Control...

"We bade farewell to the snail collectors and moved
down to the beach. The tide was out, revealing a broad
stretch of seaweed-covered stones. At the tide's edge
a man and a woman were harvesting winkles, "for tonight's
tea". We continued to the next bay, half expecting to
find someone digging for maggots or collecting slugs,
but instead we bumped into a naked bloke. He seemed more
surprised than us and dashed off into the sea."
- Paul Robinson on a weekend away at the seaside.

"The good news from the English Tourist Board (ETB) is
that the seaside amusement industry is booming: last
year we took 18.7 million seaside holidays and spent
£4.2bn. The coast is still the most popular domestic
holiday destination, possibly because, as Anna Crombie
of the ETB points out, 'you can still have fun whatever
the weather, which is not always true of our continental
competitors'. Who needs the sun when you can visit Mr
Blobby's Bubble Kingdom?"
- Rebecca Fox provides the ultimate guide to British
beaches.

"As soon as we got to the sand my father sprinted down to
the sea, gritted his teeth and dived in. We stood there
unimpressed, looking for the nearest café. Dad waved,
beckoning us to join him. With the sun having just gone
in and the wind picking up, none of us were going to comply."
- Leo Hickman on growing up at the seaside.

Plus new fiction, the story of a bionic bee and the chance
to see your own music and movie reviews published on the net.

ShiftControl: waiting for you NOW at
http://www.shiftcontrol.com