1997-06-19 - It ain’t just crypto they’re screwing with….

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Tim May)
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 381c08c9d253e0f26e5331a6859b185585900117a311d775e9deb54316e9fc75
Message ID: <199706192024.NAA10518@you.got.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:40:03 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Tim May)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:40:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: It ain't just crypto they're screwing with....

People sometimes wonder why I'm moving toward the "just kill them all"
position, meant rhetorically, of course. (I would never, never suggest
that anyone actually kill the criminals McCain or Kerrey, or the other 533
criminals, but they have surely all richly earned whatever befalls them.)

Besides the blizzard of new crypto laws, some proposed, some passed,
similar nonsense can be found in almost every other area of life. Here in
Kalifornia, not even the cops and district attorneys seem to know what's
happening with gun laws, knife laws, insult speech laws, and so on. And
here in my little piece of Paradise, a recent law made it illegal to
"discriminate" against those with rings through their noses, studs through
their tongues, etc. (Some of you, being "punks," may actually be so
adorned. I hope you understand the deeper point that what I do with my
property, including who I hire, is my business, not the "Committee Against
Appearance Discrimination's" bussiness.)

The real problem is that the thousands of professional politicians, the
organized crime families of politics, and the hundreds of thousands of
cops, narcs, judges, bureaucrats, drones, and other criminals keep on
writing more laws, trying to patch the broken aspects of society with more
and more laws.

Anyway, one of my occasional interests is following the knife community.
After recent warnings that the knife laws in my area may make it illegal
to carry a folding knife either in my pocket ("concealed") or clipped to
my belt ("brandishment"), I started paying close attention to what the
clowns in Sacramento are doing to resolve this situation. As might be
expected, they are screwing things up further.

As with crypto, the laws keep getting more and more complex, with layers
upon layers of cruft making nearly any interpretation a DA (District
Attorney, or Prosecuting Attorney) might want to push possible. As the
famous saying by a corrupt (as most of them are) DA went, "I could get an
indictment against a ham sandwich if I wanted one.")

Here's an insight into the knife laws in California. It makes me want to
climb a tall tower and start shooting. (I won't, of course, but I am
confirmed in my view that the politicians in Sacramento and D.C. ought to
be disposed of as quickly as possble. Hang the bastards.)