1997-06-03 - [OFF-TOPIC] Naming systems…

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 4265bc1d9d3cc402066db3217b4e7beda663ba675bb227f4638cd5603e255252
Message ID: <199706032014.NAA06953@rigel.cyberpass.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 04:29:10 +0800

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 04:29:10 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: [OFF-TOPIC] Naming systems...

Tim wrote:
> At 11:21 AM -0700 6/3/97, Asgaard wrote:
>
> >*Why is it that people of finer (?) English heritage often has a double
> >second name? Someone once suggested to me that it originates from having
> >(or an ancestor having) adopted the name of both one's 'marital' father
> >and one's biological father, for reasons of property inheritance, but
> >I never believed that one. Just curious.

That's the impression I got while I lived there. Many people regard
it as rather pretentious (pace, Phil). At my school, there was
a student who rejoiced in the moniker (I am not making this up):

"The Honorable Jamie Darymple-Hamilton, Esq."

> Yuppies in the U.S. have often gone to the "feminist-friendly"
> hyphenization of their names, claiming it gives their children both names.

> (Oh yeah? It just pushes the problem one level deeper in the stack, as
> _their_ children than have to contend with being "Suzie
> Smith-Yates-Hallam-Baker." I like the Icelandic solution where girl
> children are "Suziesdottir" and boy children are "Winstonsson.")

With the old Norse system, still used in Iceland, there is a tremendous
namespace-collision problem. There is a fairly short list of
acceptable first names (yes, there is a list, and you have to name your
child from it - this is fairly common outside the US), and by the second
generation these names, and only these names, get pushed into the surname
namespace. Immigrants change their names to Icelandic ones as a
requirement of citizenship. The one exception is that if you are
still living in the place you were born, you can adopt the placename
as your surname.

Thus, Iceland, with only 265,000 people, has phonebooks which index by
location and profession as well as by name to reach a reasonable
level of dis-ambiguation.

[Doubtless some Magnus Magnusson (the most common male Icelandic
name) will correct some of the details here.]

Peter Trei (that's Estonian, if you were wondering).
trei@process.com

Thread