1997-06-13 - Re: [Noise, California only] Good deal on ISDN access

Header Data

From: dshipman@ewol.com (Dave Shipman)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 62f1f87454c7b4a7e8f29c2133598efca3fd0ff4dd761d6ad72325e1d847fe07
Message ID: <19970613150748390.AAA112@xxx>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:31:57 +0800

Raw message

From: dshipman@ewol.com (Dave Shipman)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:31:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: [Noise, California only] Good deal on ISDN access

At 05:55 AM 6/11/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Lucky Green sez:
>
>> Given that a good number of people on this list live in CA, this might be
>> of interest to you. It certainly was to me. PacBell is selling flat rate 2B
>> ISDN Internet access at $50/month. Plus the regular home ISDN fees, but
>> this is still much cheaper than what I paid before. You might want to think
>> hard before you buy at new 56k modem that in all likelihood won't be able
>> to give you 56k anyway. And no analog modem will ever give you 128kbps.
>
>But don't they still charge you a penny a minute?  That adds up fast, and
>would probably cost you more than your $50 internet access fees.  Plus the
>cost of ISDN service...  All told, you're looking at $150 or so per month.
>
>When for $150 you can get a brand spanking new 56K modem, and pay $20-30 a
>month.  Not as fast, but a much better price/performance ratio.

GTE in SRQ charges a flat (no installation charge or per minute on a 36
month contract) rate of $54.00 plus any long distance calls I make on the
SPID. My ISP charges $34.00 for a total of $88.00 and I am connected 125/175
hours a month. Early on, I found a definite need for a separate line
($19.00) to support my habit and when I installed ISDN that line was
removed. Net cost for a *true* observed 3X speed increase, FAX, and voice
com is $69.00 a month. A BitSURFER Pro TA cost $360.00 and replaced a 28.8
modem. As soon as my ISP gets around to it (and figures out what to charge),
the wires get twisted and the 3X increase should double.

Those who buy a "56k" modem are in for a disappointment. No POPS in the US
supports more than 53k and many run at *much* less due to cross talk
problems. Also, your ISP will have to choose one of the two available
"standards" (X2 or 56Kflex) with no assurance that when the 56k dust settles
you will still have compatible equipment.

Those who live in ATL or are PAC Bell customers should examine the
possibilities of ADSL which is supposed to roll out in both areas, sometime
in the last quarter. Bell South plans to offer ADSL the first quarter of
next year and DMT appears to be winning the "standards" battle with CAP for
ASDL protocol. I've not seen any cost information but presume that the
increased bandwidth will result in higher charges than ISDN. Unfortunately,
here in the swamps of southwest FL, ADSL will not be an option for several
years.

DLS
That field hath eyen, and the wood hath ears.
         Geoffrey Chaucer. 1328-1400.

                          (From the text of Tyrwhitt.) Line 1524.

Thread