1997-06-25 - The value of free speech…

Header Data

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 72815f59df248f1bb36ba415a46982fc436427d0101563e1772c5886e62359b8
Message ID: <199706251254.FAA24496@fat.doobie.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:18:18 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:18:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: The value of free speech...

> "Philip A. Mongelluzzo" <phimon@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > How do we deal with child pornography and free speech in such a way
> > as to allow both to exist and insure our children are not exposed to
> > pornographic material until they are at a maturity level where they
> > can deal with it?
>
> > A battle that must be won without killing the enemy to
> > insure continued free speech.  Quite a challenge I think.  Now, do
> > you have any idea how to do that?

  When I was twelve years old a man stepped out of the proverbial
dark alley in my small hometown and offered me twenty dollars to
give him a blow-job. I said no.
  In retrospect, if he had offered me a thousand dollars, I might
have recognized the value of free speech at a much earlier age
than I eventually did.

  Also, my parents used to let me go to out-of-town hockey games
with other kids and Father Flanigan, admonishing me, "Don't let
him stick his hand in your pants." I didn't.
  Today's world may seem more dangerous, with a greater chance
of children's contact with unknown entities/weirdos, but I find
it hard to believe that there is greater saftey to be had by
keeping children ignorant of information that goes beyond this
or that boundary of morality/integrity/world-view/lifestyle.
  If your children see a picture of a young child with a dick
in his or her mouth and don't see anything wrong with it, then
I don't think the problem is with the picture.

TruthMonger
TruthMonger

Thread