1997-06-04 - Re: May’s Banal Rant

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 763e0249a0f0ae930178b61e134b400f3b540f2693ed4b9a706078c8ad005c91
Message ID: <19970604154744.59593@bywater.songbird.com>
Reply To: <v03102808afb8d91fbb72@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-04 22:58:16 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 06:58:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 06:58:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: May's Banal Rant

On Tue, Jun 03, 1997 at 04:56:00PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> At 4:28 PM -0700 6/3/97, Kent Crispin wrote:
[...]
> >Some grew up.  Some, like Peter Pan, want to remain children forever.
> >

> At least we can expect to see Kent Crispin soon leaving the list.

Possibly.  I have a life.  OTOH, I could lurk for years.

> Historically speaking, when writers stoop to one line insultings of the
> list they leave soon thereafter.

It was a pretty mild insult, relatively speaking, and not really
aimed at the list in general.

Actually, I was thinking of a news report I read recently about the
nationwide drop in violent crime.  This trend is very widespread, and
is probably explained by the aging of the population -- statistically
it is true that most violent crime is perpetrated by young men in the
throes of a testosterone high.  Similarly, as the list membership
gets older and matures the interest in macho displays diminishes.

Certainly on this list we see a clique with a strong adolescent macho
fascination with guns and violence, and certain of these individuals
exhibit other signs of stunted emotional growth.  Peter Pan and the
Lost Boys seemed an apt image for this group.

> (Vulis excepted, of course.)

Of course.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread