1997-06-22 - Re: Party on IRC

Header Data

From: “John A. Perry” <perry@alpha.jpunix.com>
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 80ac4c51b41e444a322d0873a3b85e2066bd2e8de0e4d8634f99c364db1859c7
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.95.970622053011.19903A-100000@alpha>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970621023432.0077a4ac@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-22 10:45:18 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 18:45:18 +0800

Raw message

From: "John A. Perry" <perry@alpha.jpunix.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 18:45:18 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Party on IRC

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Bill Stewart wrote:

> >Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com> writes:
> >>Is there an encrypted IRC available?
> >>If not, shouldn't there be?
> >>Is such a thing even possible?
>
> You'd have to think about what you wanted it to do,
> but it should be quite doable.  IRC is normally for sharing
> conversations between an amorphous, changing bunch of people,
> which isn't really a standard thing to do with crypto.

Actually a simple form of encryption is available. There is a plug-in to
eggdrop called wire. I have used it in my eggdrop bot on #remailop and it
has worked well. Basically you log into the bot with a /dcc chat and then
execute .wire <key> where <key> is a mutually agreed upon key. Then to
send encrypted chats to others that have connected with the same key, each
line that you type needs to be preceded with a ";". I'll fire it up if you
want to look at it. Go to any EFnet server, check in and then go to
channel #remailop. Say hello to rops and then check in. I believe it uses
the crypt(3) function for encryption.

 John Perry KG5RG perry@alpha.jpunix.com PGP-encrypted e-mail welcome!
 Amateur Radio Address: kg5rg@kg5rg.ampr.org
 WWW - http://www.jpunix.com