1997-06-03 - Re: Webpage picketing?…

Header Data

From: John Deters <jad@dsddhc.com>
To: Jim Choate <cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Message Hash: 891155a053977860271f2711b817919ce457d8a7aea099e5350137f3b5a9a862
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970603164718.00a218e0@labg30>
Reply To: <199706031316.IAA15007@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-03 21:58:28 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 05:58:28 +0800

Raw message

From: John Deters <jad@dsddhc.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 05:58:28 +0800
To: Jim Choate <cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Subject: Re: Webpage picketing?...

At 09:57 AM 6/3/97 -6, Peter Trei wrote:
>Jim Choate wrote:
>> I have been looking at how to impliment picketing on the web. To date I
have
>> been unable to come up with a way to force a connection to one machine
to go
>> through a third machine in order to express some view about the original
>> target.

There are a couple ways to do it.  One would be to implement an
"anonymizer" type scheme, where you "hijack" an unsuspecting surfer by
sending him/her off to http://www.evil.hijacker.org/www.yahoo.com, where
your server does the surfing for the victim, editing and picketing the HTML
returned.  You can do anything you want to them, your machine is in control
of the http connections.

Another method, which is quite a bit easier (and I've enclosed an example
below,) is to throw up a frame; giving the bottom of the users the screen
to wherever they surfed to, but retaining a frame on the top to play your
parade of protest animated gif banners.

Note that both of these require you to be an unscrupulous stealer of other
peoples browser space.  They also require the users arrive at your site
first, and leave via your links (their own bookmarks or typed URLs will let
them off the hook.)  I don't know of a way (short of usurping a DNS
server's authority) of getting hooked into their site from the first.  I
suppose if you ran a router between the site you wished to hijack and the
viewer whom you've hijacked, you could, but we're talking MAJOR no-no (and
lots of code) here.

Enclosed is an example set of files that shows "permanent" frames of the
type that hang around and annoy people.  Cut'n'paste to save them to your
local machine, then open the file fooIndex.htm with your frame-enabled
browser.  Notice how the banners (picket signs) hang around even after
linking off to somewhere else.  The drawback to this method is that your
protest is not "dynamic".  If they're on your vegetarian site, and follow
your link to www.beef.com, your banners will scream "Meat is Murder."
However, if they then follow the link from www.beef.com to
www.fur-coat.com, they'll still be under "Meat is Murder" banners.  You'd
be unable to display the "Fur is Dead" banners, because the browser hasn't
been talking to you since it loaded your page.

John

-- fooIndex.htm -- cut here --
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Picket Line</TITLE></HEAD>
<frameset rows="80,*" framespacing="0" frameborder="0" border="0">
<frameset cols="400,*" framespacing="0" frameborder="0" border="0">
<frame src="fooTop.htm" SCROLLING="NO" NORESIZE MARGINWIDTH="6"
MARGINHEIGHT="6" >
<frame src="fooTopRight.htm" SCROLLING="NO" NORESIZE MARGINWIDTH="6"
MARGINHEIGHT="6" >
</frameset>
<frame src="fooMain.htm" SCROLLING="AUTO" NORESIZE MARGINWIDTH="0"
MARGINHEIGHT="0" BORDER="0" >
</frameset>
</HTML>
-- fooTop.htm -- cut here --
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>FooTop Title</TITLE></HEAD>
<H4> This is FooTop. </H4>
Down with Foo!
</HTML>
-- fooTopRight.htm -- cut here --
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>FooTopRight Title</TITLE></HEAD>
<H4> This is FooTopRight. </H4>
Down with Bar!
</HTML>
-- fooMain.htm -- cut here --
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>FooMain Title</TITLE></HEAD>
<H4> This is FooMain. </H4>
Not to be confused with EggFooMein.
<P>
Click here to not be here.
</HTML>
-- fooBar.htm -- cut here --
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>FooBar Title</TITLE></HEAD>
<H4> This is FooBar. </H4>
You're not where you were before, but there are still picketers hanging about.
<P>
Where we want you to go today.
</HTML>
-- end files -- cut here --

--
J. Deters "Don't think of Windows programs as spaghetti code.  Think
          of them as 'Long sticky pasta objects in OLE sauce'."