1997-06-26 - Re: One Ryder Truck–One Vote

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Message Hash: 89fcd70ffc1c0eef68def964808578d4734a0240d97abc185ea25f30290ef591
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970625185156.030f3bbc@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199706251253.FAA24434@fat.doobie.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-26 02:15:11 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:15:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:15:11 +0800
To: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Subject: Re: One Ryder Truck--One Vote

At 05:53 AM 6/25/97 -0700, Nobody wrote:
>  Voting is the new Catch-22/Damned if you do, damned if you don't,
>etc, etc. It's time for a new non-candidate that is a cross between
>Pat Paulsen ("If elected, I will not serve.") and Abby Hoffmean
>("Steal This Book.").
>  My inclination is for a candidate named "Fuck You!", but I'm sure
>someone else can come up with a more creative candidate.

Wavy Gravy has occasionally run a "Nobody For President" campaign.
"Who'd be the best President?"		"Nobody!"
"Who's going to balance the budget?"	"Nobody!"
"Who's going to fix the schools?"		"Nobody!"
"Who can you trust with the Bomb?"		"Nobody!"
"Which candidate cares about the poor?"	"Nobody!"

A few years back, the Libertarian Party was trying to get
on the ballot in Washington State by running a governor campaign.
They didn't make it, because they lost the protest votes to
a candidate who changed his name to "Absolutely Nobody".
Absolutely Nobody got about 7% of the vote.

(The unfortunate followup story later ran in the SF Chron
under the title "Absolutely Nobody died today"; he was in
politics because he was an AIDS activist, and had the disease.)

During the '92 elections, I was considering getting
Frank Zappa on the ballot in New Jersey.  He'd already dropped
out of the race due to his cancer, but it only takes 1000 signatures there,
which would have been an afternoon's work at Rutgers.
He's dead now, but he probably would enjoy running anyway :-)

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread