1997-06-04 - Re: May’s Banal Rant

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Asgaard <asgaard@cor.sos.sll.se>
Message Hash: 8a56fe84c16f42bfa791e402f1d98e5d9970c1d6ef5dfb6ab5e4baf7822c4c01
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970603235531.392A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <Pine.HPP.3.91.970603194454.19822D-100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-04 21:48:14 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 05:48:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 05:48:14 +0800
To: Asgaard <asgaard@cor.sos.sll.se>
Subject: Re: May's Banal Rant

> *Why is it that people of finer (?) English heritage often has a double
> second name? Someone once suggested to me that it originates from having
> (or an ancestor having) adopted the name of both one's 'marital' father
> and one's biological father, for reasons of property inheritance, but
> I never believed that one. Just curious.

I believe historically this would not be the case, for obvious reasons of
reputation.

Today, a few English people take both their mothers and fathers names,
for example, a friend of mine is William Casson-Smith, of course, not all
names sound good like this, ie. Paul Bradley-Hemsley, interestingly they
only sound right if the second name has one less syllable than the first.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/