1997-06-07 - Re: Steak Knife Decryption

Header Data

From: nexus@eskimo.com (Brian Lane)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 8d16fdfeb823cfa5a84cd1ead50a5b5c594d558e248dadbc882a2eeb686889f6
Message ID: <33996cfa.26096067@mail.eskimo.com>
Reply To: <199706070544.AAA00172@manifold.algebra.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-07 14:30:13 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 22:30:13 +0800

Raw message

From: nexus@eskimo.com (Brian Lane)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 22:30:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Steak Knife Decryption

On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 00:44:15 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>Mike Duvos wrote:
>>

>> An interesting twist on rubber hose decryption in the case of the
>> murder of Jonathan Levin, son of the top executive of media
>> giant Time Warner.
>>
>> Police believe his ATM card was stolen, and he was then jabbed
>> with a steak knife until he revealed the PIN.
>
>This brings up a question. Did these robbers kill him right after
>they found out the answer, or they first tried to withdraw money
>to check if his number was right?

  Yes, this is apparently how it happened. The robber tortured him for
the PIN, used the card to get $800 from a machine and then returned to
stab and shoot him. Apparently the murderer is one of his students (he
was a teacher in NY I believe). This happened after Levin asked the
class to write their biographies and revealed who his father was.

>This brings up a question on the strategy in this game.

  I don't think there is any strategy in being robbed, only survuval.
Levin commited a grave mistake. Revealing his background to his class
was a very stupid move.

  Brian

Brian C. Lane             http://www.eskimo.com/~nexus                      KC7TYU
------------------  96B9 C123 5C90 BECC  6A1F 7DC6 4F2B A26E  --------------------