1997-06-24 - Re: The Grand Compromise is Coming

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 8dd0713c096fccf2f13f225cfd619d882351db2c447a057bd6023e7703770d6f
Message ID: <v03102809afd5e8da69e1@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102805afd5d070ad81@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-24 21:31:21 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 05:31:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 05:31:21 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: The Grand Compromise is Coming

At 2:02 PM -0700 6/24/97, Eric Murray wrote:
>Tim May writes:

>> It will make many groups _satisfied_ to reach "a compromise we can all live
>> with." The various cyber-rights [sic] groups will probably trumpet this as
>> a victory, as "the best we could get."
>
>They will make it out as a victory ("send us more money") but in
>reality it'll just be a little less of a defeat.

I'd be willing to bet the cyber rights [sic] groups are preparing for the
compromise and their role in the "victory." In this sense, the
McCain--Kerrey bill is almost a godsend to them, as it allows them to forge
a compromise and thus show that they are doing something useful.

>The rejectionist stance has the presumption that, if unwatched, the
>government will pass a law so onerous that the people will rise up
>in protest.  Unfortunately I don't think Americans will rise up in
>protest over _anything_ any more.  Certainly not over basic freedoms.

Well, I know of some Americans who blew up a building filled with Feds.

That ain't exactly doing nothing.

I have to confess to not being completely unhappy with the McCain-Kerrey
thing. By being so much of a Big Brother action, it validates what we've
been warning about.

And while _most_ Americans will not rise up in protest, as you point out,
this will invigorate the extremist factions fighting for collapse of the
entire corrupt system.

(For we extremists, whom some have called "bloodthirsty," there's no better
recruiting tool than such things as McCain-Kerrey. I've heard more of my
friends saying that Congress just ought to be blown up than I ever would
have imagined a few years ago. And this is not a view shared only by
extremists: anyone who saw the coming attraction trailers for "Independence
Day," last year at that time, was probably struck by the visceral and
immediate audience reaction to the scene showing the alien flying saucers
vaporizing and destroying the White House: cheers and clapping throughout
the audience.)

This will be a good thing. Just avoid soft targets, as I keep warning.

--Tim May