1997-06-15 - Re: Netscape Exploit

Header Data

From: lucifer@dhp.com (lucifer Anonymous Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 948e1d6ccb33c5ea1e9c495d1fddaead8955ed7afc8f37f8fa0b2a866f5d70dd
Message ID: <199706151017.GAA04407@dhp.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:30:31 +0800

Raw message

From: lucifer@dhp.com (lucifer Anonymous Remailer)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:30:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape Exploit

Tom Weinstein wrote:
> Lucky Green wrote:
> >
> > >Here is a sample it isn't complete but you get the basic idea of what
> > is
> > >going on
> > ><HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Evil-DOT-COM Homepage</TITLE><HEAD>

> Yeah, that's pretty cool.  Too bad it doesn't work.

  If you wanted a version that works you should have checked out the
RCMP site that one of the Truth Mongers (or spin-offs) pointed to on
the list a while back. It had a nifty bit of code which showed you
the contents of your own hard drive and grabbed a copy for their own
use.
  There was also a site on sympatico.ca which had the same code, only
the link read "Click here to read the Whitehouse hard drive." If you
followed further links on the site some would take a long time to load
and if you paid attention you could guess that your hard drive was being
accessed. I turned a friend onto the files I saved from the sites and
I assume he hacked at least one of them to get the executables that
they were running since he bought me a case of Budweiser for sharing
the information with him.

  I have noticed in surfing a variety of hacker URLs that sometimes it
takes an awfully long time to load what turns out to be a fairly simple
screen and there is invariably a lot of disk activity going on in these
instances. I don't worry about what may be taking place since I bought
a used computer specifically for internet cruising so I can enjoy myself
instead of fretting about security issues.
  I put a lot of files and directories on my hard drive with names like
"Offthepigs" and "assass.plot" and cruised around the RCMP site from an
anonymous account. I used the name of a local cop as the ostensible
owner of the machine and author of the files. (I _do_ hope they were
paying attention!)

  There was an article on computer security on the RCMP site which spoke
quite openly about the potential of technology in general and remailers
in specific for mounting sting operations. (I will try to dig up the
URL for it and pass it along. It should be in the list archives too.)

~~~~~~~~~
Not a cop
~~~~~~~~~

Thread