1997-06-22 - Re: Garbled in transmission.

Header Data

From: C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To: sameer <sameer@c2.net>
Message Hash: aecb25ad46596c6e5904032ea192eb30231900385861d89639e3232d5efa2b17
Message ID: <199706220010.UAA25001@goffette.research.megasoft.com>
Reply To: <199706210004.UAA26052@jazz.cape.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-22 00:21:42 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 08:21:42 +0800

Raw message

From: C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 08:21:42 +0800
To: sameer <sameer@c2.net>
Subject: Re: Garbled in transmission.

sameer> 	Not at all surprising, considering the wording of
sameer> Rocke's press release.

Surely you refer to the lack of a commercial spin in Rocke's press
release.  Or maybe we should have also sung the praises of C2Net's
"uncompromised Internet security software"?

The crack of the DES Challenge Key is important.  Presenting an
accurate description of what happened is just as important.  There is
no need to cause widespread panic, yet.  This is a shot across the
proverbial bow.

Trying to present it to the public at large is a difficult
proposition, and not something that can easily be covered in the sorts
of soundbyte-driven news reports seen on shows like Headline News.  I
know, I've been trying to talk about the meaning of DESCHALL to
business managers and Regular People for more than three months.

What we should be doing is encouraging discussion of the meaning and
significance of what we've done, the sort of thing that will lead to
the kinds of in-depth reports that will accurately tell Joe Citizen
exactly what all of this means.

- -matt

>> I caught the Headline News mention of the DES crack and it
>> unfortunately put the wrong spin on things.
>>
>> I can't remember it word for word, but it went like this: "If
>> you're going to decrypt financial transactions you'd better be
>> prepared to get 1000 computers and spend 3 months on the project."
>>
>> The report was delivered with a hint of a smile, as if to suggest
>> that the time and resources might have been better spent.
>>
>> *Sigh*

sameer> -- Sameer Parekh Voice: 510-986-8770 President FAX:
sameer> 510-986-8777 C2Net http://www.c2.net/ sameer@c2.net

- --
Matt Curtin  Chief Scientist Megasoft Online  cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com
http://www.research.megasoft.com/people/cmcurtin/    I speak only for myself