1997-06-23 - Re: spam on this list

Header Data

From: “Philip A. Mongelluzzo” <phimon@ix.netcom.com>
To: Tim May <jrennie@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Message Hash: b70f64226d11012d8ba3ab315634c24443eae3f8c7898f9dba17d39699f40f8c
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970623063123.0092e8c0@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.91.970623124902.559B-100000@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-23 10:48:06 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:48:06 +0800

Raw message

From: "Philip A. Mongelluzzo" <phimon@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:48:06 +0800
To: Tim May <jrennie@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Subject: Re: spam on this list

I certainly agree with free speech and understand how it can be manipulated
by the scum bags at large in society, _BUT_ free speech is free speech.
The warts come from an ever increasing BENT society.

I still am concerned about kids being subject to material that is
inappropriate for their age group (what ever that may be).  So how do I
insure that my son/daugher does not get their hands on _THIS_ material?
Twenty seven years ago I took an oath to do whatever was needed to protect
and defend the constitution against all enemies (domestic and foreign)  But
what is the solution to this problem from a parents point of view?  Simple
- control the material.  Make it like liquor, guns, booze.  Oops.. for some
reason this is a violation of the 1st amendment to!  Ok, my mistake, its my
problem.  That's easy, no Internet access.  Now my kid is at a
disadvantage!  I keep loosing here.  I don't like the way this is beginning
to feel!!

I'm sure that the community on this list has discussed this problem at
length.  What is the best defense?  How do we get the message out or,
better yet, deliver it?

Whatever that is, we need to do the same thing for the 2nd Ammendment, and
the 3rd, and so on.

The challenge to write code could be fun, but maybe we should use our
collective wisdom to deliver the best of the best solutions (there may be
more than one) to our elected officials.  Load their mailboxes up with
solutions to problems.  Sooner or later more than one of them is going to
think its his/her idea and push it along.  Web sites can be set up to
assist them with details.  I'm sure you get the idea.

Just another citizen wondering if anything is going to be left for our
grandchildren.

>At 7:51 PM -0700 6/22/97, Jason William RENNIE wrote:
>
>>Thats fine but, i dont want to be invited to look at nasty naked
>>cheerleaders. And isn't it somewhat problematic when a 15 yr old looks at
>>the mail box ?? BEsides i hate junk mail too, and if i could stick a no
>>junk mail sticker on my email i would.
>
>You're on the wrong list. We favor free speech, including inviting
>15-year-olds to look at pictures of their choosing on the Net. They don't
>_have_ to look, after all.
>
>Perhaps you should join forces with Sen. McCain and Sen. Feinswine, or your
>versions in your own country. Or move to Iran. Or something.
>

>--Tim May
>

>There's something wrong when I'm a felon under an increasing number of laws.
>Only one response to the key grabbers is warranted: "Death to Tyrants!"
>Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
>tcmay@got.net  408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
>W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
>Higher Power: 2^1398269     | black markets, collapse of governments.
>"National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

Thread