1997-06-02 - Re: Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Tim May <mech@eff.org
Message Hash: c48c37f2c6453337ba22e7a5afd80a9c905393f6cd1b5bc914e99fc69a9ecf0f
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970601203427.1603B-100000@well.com>
Reply To: <v03102800afb7ba21be7b@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-02 04:04:29 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:04:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:04:29 +0800
To: Tim May <mech@eff.org
Subject: Re: Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

So I just got back home after a pleasant dinner with Marc and a bunch of
other privacy- and crypto-folks on Capitol Hill. That is, it was pleasant
until Marc started yelling about libertarians being "Pod People," or at
least possessing similar critical thinking skills. :)

Ahem.

I'd like to say I held my own, but I fear I was outnumbered. Besides, Marc
organized the dinner, and "Pod People" is a good line, and even I had to
agree that Steve Forbes is a space alien.

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Tim May wrote in response to Robert:

> >Yes, I would support a law that forbids private companies to ask for social
> >security numbers except for tax purposes.
>
> To put it as politely as I can manage, you have no conception of what it
> means to live in a free, uncoerced society.
>
> No wonder the EFF is so fucked up.

To the best of my knowledge, EF-Georgia does not speak for the EFF. I
don't know if the EFF would support such a law as Robert describes.
Perhaps Stanton can help out here.

Rather than focus on private collection of SSNs, I'd rather cut them off
at the source. The government shouldn't be issuing them in the first
place.

-Declan

Thread