1997-06-24 - The Grand Compromise is Coming

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: c5460410e2525a9e011f83da7bed6b4bff15500207efcff8001773749a6df1ff
Message ID: <v03102805afd5d070ad81@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <33B003B5.689A@nwdtc.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-24 19:40:09 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 03:40:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 03:40:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: The Grand Compromise is Coming

At 11:43 AM -0700 6/24/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Yeah, I'm going to the markup later this afternoon. I ran into Goodlatte in
>the Capitol this morning; he seemed cautiously optimistic.

The terrible, terrible S.909 McCain-Kerrey bill is probably a negotiating
card in the coming Grand Compromise.

When even editorial writers for the Establishment Papers are against it,
when industry is against it so vocally, it won't pass the full Congress.

But it will have served its purpose.

It will make many groups _satisfied_ to reach "a compromise we can all live
with." The various cyber-rights [sic] groups will probably trumpet this as
a victory, as "the best we could get."

Somewhere between SAFE, a bad bill, and McCain-Kerrey, a reprehensible
bill, lies the Grand Compromise.

I reject it all.

--Tim May