1997-06-13 - Re: There’s no general right to privacy – get over it, from Netly

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
To: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Message Hash: c6768aee2b05f9a3f2334b207b0f4a6bbd0546d90a4c4f4b83046cc1c7ea2fef
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970613105505.13113D-100000@cp.pathfinder.com>
Reply To: <199706122248.RAA11848@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-13 15:34:16 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:34:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:34:16 +0800
To: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Subject: Re: There's no general right to privacy -- get over it, from Netly

I suspect the scare about privacy has led to muddled thinking.

Free speech is a right that strictly limits the government's ability to
control what you say. We should have a similar right of privacy from the
government.

But I give up my free speech "rights" when I attend a college with a wacky
speech code or go to work at a company with workplace speech policies. My
choices in those situations are governed by my free speech preferences.
Similarly, I give up my privacy "rights" when I go to unknown web sites,
apply for a loan, or post to Usenet, etc. These also are preferences.

I'm surprised not to hear more from other folks here: my position is one
cypherpunks have advocated for years -- controlling what data flow from my
computer is my responsibility.

-Declan

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Jim Choate wrote:

> Hi,