1997-06-27 - Re: NRA and National Online Records Check bullshit

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: cb3eca0e08a305e7fa6a161019685e37b08cef1044ccb17e6b7584d0e707e73d
Message ID: <v0310280fafd9e1ef2aa7@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v0310280eafd9cb27d087@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-27 21:47:30 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 05:47:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 05:47:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: NRA and National Online Records Check bullshit

At 2:13 PM -0700 6/27/97, Greg Broiles wrote:
>At 01:07 PM 6/27/97 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>[...]
>>The National Rifle Association has become a den of statist compromisers. It
>>should be added to any hit lists.
>
>Is anyone aware of a pro-second amendment organization which doesn't spend
>some of its money/energy on screwing up other important amendments? (The
>fourth, fifth, sixth, and eighth are popular targets.)

The Libertarian Party.

It has strongly supported the Second Amendment, and has not, so far as I
know, tried to screw up any other of the important amendments.

My problem with it is that it is a political organization, and the
newsletters and local chapters are focussed on "inside baseball" of various
elections. And the California State Convention I attended some years back
was about the most boring thing I've ever been to.

I suspect the Cato Insitute is also Pro-Second without screwing with any of
the other good amendments.

As Greg knows well, of course, the ACLU is to avoided at all costs.

--Tim