1997-06-06 - Traffic Analysis Re: Who “invented” remailers?

Header Data

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d77c8db5fae0be6081c80788075e68aa4db0c3d5fb99cfc6b27bf72d253988a5
Message ID: <199706060248.TAA19439@fat.doobie.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:28:11 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:28:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Traffic Analysis Re: Who "invented" remailers?

Tim May wrote:

> It all depends on:
>
> - how many other messages are being received by Lucky and Tim (PGP messages
> arriving from remailers, obviously, not just ordinary traffic, though
> ordinary traffic helps a bit)

  A remailer system could have a mechanized procedure for ensuring
that those who wished could receive cover mail at certain times no
matter what was in the queque. If a message came in that was meant
for them, then it would replace the cover message in the queque.
  Has anyone concerned with remailer development spent any time
actually doing remailer traffic analysis, similar to a cryptographer
who does cryptanalysis to raise his level of competence?
  It would be interesting to see the results of messages being sent
between cypherpunks and encrypted with a "TA" key so that they could
be separated and logged for traffic analysis. I would like to see
what kind of results could be divined by those who know remailer
operations intimately.

Al Gore, ITHM

Thread