1997-06-24 - Re: Comparing Cryptographic Key Sizes

Header Data

From: ? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} <dformosa@st.nepean.uws.edu.au>
To: Jason William RENNIE <jrennie@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Message Hash: d7a6354f7df675ff8efe28e08a2d10ca5245685076fcc7ded74556932b28924d
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.93.970625045314.117C-100000@shirley>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.91.970625072559.18831A-100000@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-24 23:12:20 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:12:20 +0800

Raw message

From: ? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} <dformosa@st.nepean.uws.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:12:20 +0800
To: Jason William RENNIE <jrennie@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Comparing Cryptographic Key Sizes

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Jason William RENNIE wrote:

My first suggestion is to get hold of "Applied Cryptography" by Bruse
Schneier, my second suggestion is to find out if your uni runs causes in
infomation securaty (sounds something like that) and get into it via an
elective.

[...]

> Well i guess i'll look stupid for asking but someone has to but what is
> the diffrence ??

A symtiric cryptosystem is one where the encrption key is the same as the
decryption key.  A nonsytric cryptosystem is one where the encryption key
is diffrent but realted to the decrytion key.

Non-symtric keys are normal weeker because there has to be that realtion
between the keys.

Please excuse my spelling as I suffer from agraphia see the url in my header.
Never trust a country with more peaple then sheep.  Buy easter bilbies.
Save the ABC Is $0.08 per day too much to pay?  ex-net.scum and prouud
I'm sorry but I just don't consider 'because its yukky' a convinceing argument

Thread