1997-06-20 - Re: Senate panel nixes ProCODE II, approves McCain-Kerrey bill

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d85c31f6e49210eaa9431f47ac49214c8404babd105d1fb4c17a2cbb0e18ccd8
Message ID: <v03102801afcf8bd90b39@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03007801afcf434c4bd2@[168.161.105.191]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-20 01:39:14 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:39:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:39:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Senate panel nixes ProCODE II, approves McCain-Kerrey bill

At 1:18 PM -0700 6/19/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>That's hardly a pro-privacy, pro-encryption bill, says
>the ACLU's Don Haines. "The ProCODE vote shows the
>political bankruptcy of the pro-business agenda. Even
>in the Commerce Committee, commerce arguments didn't
>work," he says.

This of course was the crux of my criticism of SAFE, and to a lesser
extent, Pro-CODE, and of the nominally pro-liberty groups like EPIC and
CDT. They supported "business friendly" bills, perhaps catering to their
telecom and computer industry contributors, and did not take a strong civil
libertarian stance.

The whole system is corrupt.

The only hope now is the Junger and Bernstein cases, the hope being that
the Supreme Court will eventually rule in one or both of these cases that
encrypted speech is just a form of speech and that the First Amendment
protects such speech, even on networks partially funded by the Federal
government.

(Gee, nearly all highways receive Federal funds, due to the way the tax
monies are collected and then disbursed. Does this mean the government can
regulate speech in any care travelling on any highway even partly built or
operated with Federal funds? Think about the parallels.)

The whole system is corrupt.

--Tim May