1997-06-28 - Re: NRA and National Online Records Check bullshit

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: df5dd4755e815ec76a41380fa765de14f2137c84fb490691ca2e14d920d435b1
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970628161719.0311b334@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <v0310280eafd9cb27d087@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-28 23:28:19 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 07:28:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 07:28:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: NRA and National Online Records Check bullshit

At 01:20 PM 6/27/97 -0700, Alan wrote:
>I expect it will be extended further on down the line.  "Hold on a for a
>few minutes.  We seem to be having some problem with your records check."
>Meanwhile, the local/state/federal/illuminati are on their way to
>apprehend the miscreant.

Heh - it's already that way in some places if you try to
buy a car with cash :-)

>> (Somehow most people think it's OK that convicted felons lose their rights
>> to vote and to have guns. (Once they're released, of course.) Do they think
>> convicted felons no longer have religious freedom? Can no longer write as
>> they wish? Jeesh.)
>
>I find it interesting that they find the right to vote as dangerous as the
>right to own a gun.

After the results of the 1990 Census were in, New Jersey was re-gerrymandering
their Congressional District boundaries.  Aside from the usual goals
(making sure the Republicans, who were then in power, had solid districts),
there were the usual concerns about racial balance, so they wanted to
create a district in the east-central side of the state that was mostly
minority (largely Hispanic, in this case).  The first cut didn't have
enough minorities, so they moved the boundary to include Rahway Prison.
The legal system being what it is, the residents are largely minority .....
and most of them can't vote :-)

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread