1997-06-07 - Re: Who subscribes to the list?

Header Data

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: ghio@temp0094.myriad.ml.org (Matthew Ghio)
Message Hash: e28b3350ee0d21a1416a1db41ebbbd8eb55486752ca9588d7ee6952baf58086f
Message ID: <199706070117.UAA26367@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <199706070111.SAA15372@myriad.alias.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-07 01:26:27 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 09:26:27 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 09:26:27 +0800
To: ghio@temp0094.myriad.ml.org (Matthew Ghio)
Subject: Re: Who subscribes to the list?

Matthew Ghio wrote:
> William H. Geiger III wrote:
> > >P.S. I'm sure none of you would be foolish enough to use penet-style
> > >remailers which do not encrypt the message headers.
> > Your point being??
>

> While I am sure most readers of this list are well aware that remailed
> messages which are not encrypted and chained are not secure, there is a
> class of users who are not yet aware of this fact.  I was pointing out
> the relative ease with which their identities could be compromised by
> someone simply logging DNS traffic.  In addition, there was some recent
> discussion over whether or not it was possible to obtain the subscriber
> list from cyberpass.net and algebra.com.  Even if the subscriber list
> is not published, there is an alternative method to determine who
> subscribes to the list.
>
> There are, of course, other methods, such as Return-Receipt headers and
> embedded html tags, but tracking DNS traffic tends to be easy to do on
> a wide scale without alerting the subjects that you are investigating.

Another danger of  using remailers without encryption is that it is very
easy to compromise one's identity due to little mistakes and malformed
messages.

	- Igor.

Thread