1997-06-03 - Re: From Inter@ctive Week: Denning no longer backing key escrow?

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ebca44c896afc41bc104d1abf19fcac11f24d5ec19bddcda940476a0648b71b9
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19970603014803.00988558@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:58:15 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:58:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: From Inter@ctive Week: Denning no longer backing key escrow?

Professor Denning has an evolving statement of her position
on encryption policy, the latest dated May 26, 1997:

http://guru.cosc.georgetown.edu/~denning/crypto/position.html

Excerpts:

"I do not advocate domestic regulations mandating key
recovery. Neither do I advocate that cryptography necessarily
be free of all regulation, including export controls. I constantly
struggle with the issues and do not see easy answers."

"I support the program of the Clinton Administration to
liberalize export controls for key recovery products, to adopt
key recovery within federal agencies, and to promote the
voluntary use of key recovery technologies. I believe that
key recovery can be done without compromising privacy
and security, but acknowledge that there are also costs and
risks associated with key recovery."

Thread