1997-06-14 - Re: Anonymous proxies & ITAR question

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: ee1de740b91dc6447375f6514e020215b6ddc5dbcf341247aa3740c22f61aa50
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.95.970613205522.3433K-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:08:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:08:10 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Anonymous proxies & ITAR question

Also sprach nobody:

>Under ITAR regs, if a "foreign national" was to use the server to get
>access to "munitions" (sure, software kills, didn't cha know?), could I be
>held in violation?
>
>Even if all they had was circumstantial evidence, I'd really like to avoid
>being indicted - puts a real kink in one's social schedule.
>
>Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

This is why we need more remailers, and why it's good that you posted
anonymously. The proper thing to do is to be "shocked, shocked!" that
anything illegal is happening on your server, immediately shut it down
(counting on the network to be self-healing with the help of an enhanced
remailer list), and offer to cooperate fully. Unfortunately, you don't
keep logs, so you wouldn't really be able to help (damn!).

-rich
 http://www.stanford.edu/~llurch/

Thread