1997-06-25 - The Right 2 Bare Arms

Header Data

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: efe10fff92b107543505002e6fe81da1fbe9a75e74e9c276b51cb1c4bbe9512e
Message ID: <199706251900.MAA13429@fat.doobie.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 03:25:06 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 03:25:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: The Right 2 Bare Arms

The unknowed soldier writes:

> What a fascinating idea! The govt. has declared code to be munitions (arms);
> the Second Amendment guarantees the right to "keep and bear arms."

> Wish I'd thought of that.

  For some strange reason your message made me think about Tim May's
rant about laws regulating the size and method of transporting or
carrying knives.
  Naturally, since 6" was the "standard" used in many places for
years to define the line between legal and illegal intent for
use of said "pointed instrument", I got to thinking about the
possibility of the laws being transposed to apply to another
common "pointed instrument" which is sometimes used as a tool
and at other times is used as a weapon.
  My first thought was to wonder if my 18 1/2" would automatically
make me a three-time loser and subject to lifetime imprisonment.
  My second thought was whether there would be corresponding laws
requiring the weapon to be "sheathed" in one locale and "in plain
sight" in another locale.

  Wish I hadn't thought of that.

A. Felon

Thread