1997-06-07 - Re: Steak Knife Decryption

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f1e125f23b04e9b678ba49acecd77c3d768f7c5513260bc45c0ea52918eef483
Message ID: <NVNX8D8w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <33996cfa.26096067@mail.eskimo.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-07 15:13:27 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 23:13:27 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 23:13:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Steak Knife Decryption

nexus@eskimo.com (Brian Lane) writes:

> On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 00:44:15 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:
>
> >Mike Duvos wrote:
> >>

> >> An interesting twist on rubber hose decryption in the case of the
> >> murder of Jonathan Levin, son of the top executive of media
> >> giant Time Warner.
> >>
> >> Police believe his ATM card was stolen, and he was then jabbed
> >> with a steak knife until he revealed the PIN.
> >
> >This brings up a question. Did these robbers kill him right after
> >they found out the answer, or they first tried to withdraw money
> >to check if his number was right?
>
>   Yes, this is apparently how it happened. The robber tortured him for
> the PIN, used the card to get $800 from a machine and then returned to
> stab and shoot him. Apparently the murderer is one of his students (he
> was a teacher in NY I believe). This happened after Levin asked the
> class to write their biographies and revealed who his father was.

Off-topic rant follows:

Levin Sr is a petty asshole. I used to work for a guy who used to be
the president of Time Warner before. One of his retirement perks was
a WATS line. When what's-his-name suddenly died and Levin assumed
office was to turn off that WATS line.  This tells me something.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM