1997-06-15 - Re: e$: Skins vs. Shirts

Header Data

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Message Hash: f3419c912d3249cbf298505fd7869b895a3e12ee0d709d04ef478fdb8bbe6a72
Message ID: <33A3A71E.C86780C6@netscape.com>
Reply To: <v03020931afc8ee48fc8f@[139.167.130.246]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-15 08:38:08 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 16:38:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 16:38:08 +0800
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Subject: Re: e$: Skins vs. Shirts

Robert Hettinga wrote:

> Adam, above, is speculating about the mechanics of a Netscape security
> hole, which, two years ago, would have gotten someone like Ian
> Goldberg a grand and a t-shirt, but probably only after they had
> published it on the net, just like Mssrs Goldberg and Wagner had to
> do, in order to get Netscape's attention. That included directions for
> how to replicate the problem. Back then, we wouldn't have been
> speculating about the mechanics of the hole, because people would be
> playing with it to see how it worked.  As it is, latest hole was
> published in terms of its results only, and not its mechanics.
> Instead, those precious details were relased only to Netscape, and
> only for, NPR says, "an undisclosed sum".

Just to be clear, we didn't give the blackmailer any money.  As Mike
Homer put it: "We don't bargain with terrorists."

--
What is appropriate for the master is not appropriate| Tom Weinstein
for the novice.  You must understand Tao before      | tomw@netscape.com

Thread