1997-06-04 - Re: McVeigh

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@amaranth.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f6b3a5637508d4c58981731ce06466e5453182202d424beb0abe3b92c3c6b725
Message ID: <199706041455.JAA17498@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 23:31:59 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 23:31:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: McVeigh

In <19970603165035.36961@bywater.songbird.com>, on 06/03/97
   at 04:50 PM, Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com> said:

>On Tue, Jun 03, 1997 at 06:43:10PM +0000, Paul Bradley wrote: [...]
>> > McVeigh ripped the heart out of the militia movement, he demonstrated
>> > what it was really about. Ironically the Oaklahoma bombing may have
>> > had precisely the effect McVeigh desired but in a very different
>> > sense. It was a wake up call to defend the country from fascism
>> > but the fascist threat was McVeigh and the millitia movement.
>>
>> Of course, if the militia movement were to have any effect a concentrated
>> effort or even a few bombings killing only government employees would
>> have been a better course of action.

>*Any* such violence on the part of militia movements will only  generate
>sympathy for the victims, and harm the movement more than it  helps.

Perhaps perhaps not.

Taking a look at modern history would show other wise.

IRA activities brought England to the bargining table though talks have
currently staled.

Jews bombing and attacks against the brittish finaly brought about their
independance.

Palisinian's continued violance has brought the Israelies to the bargining
table and eventually will lead to an independant Palistinain state.

"Terrorist" activities of the Contras finally brought free elections to
Nicaragua.

Many such terrorist activities have brought political sucess to the groups
supporting them.

>> > recovered from the beer hall putsch. Alternatively they can
>> > loudly claim that McVeigh was "framed" in the same way that
>> > other neo-NAZIs on the net claim the holocaust a fake, i.e.
>> > so that nobody really believes it. I suspect that this script
>>
>> The militias would be better to disown McVeigh and condemn his alleged
>> actions because he killed innocents.

>But they won't, because they are pathetic insects drawn to the candle
>flame of violence.  Contrast that with the brilliance of the anarchist
>Eward Abbey in "The Monkey Wrench Gang", where the anti-government acts
>were calculated to call forth popular support.

Hmmm I see to recall that the Brittish Empire showed the same contempt for
a group of fredom loving Americans 200yrs ago. :)

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html

Thread