1997-07-31 - Re: House Report on SAFE

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: 0410c3ef2d44384724017923a4e800ffe233922e7c6581dee16d5baa6f5bd15d
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970731083153.15090D-100000@cp.pathfinder.com>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19970731112509.006d2d0c@pop.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-31 12:49:28 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:49:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:49:28 +0800
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: House Report on SAFE

Note the following ominous excerpt from one of the letters:

"We are in unanimous agreement that congress must adopt
encryption legislation that requires the development,
manufacture, distribution and sale of only key recovery
products."

Darrell L. Sanders, President, International Association of
Chiefs of Police.

James E. Doyle, President, National Association of
Attorneys General.

Fred Scoralic, President, National Sheriffs' Association.

-Declan

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, John Young wrote:

> House Report 105-108, Part 2, July 25, 1997, reports on the
> recent House International Relations Committee action on
> Goodlatte's SAFE crypto bill, and includes analysis, supporting
> and dissenting views, and a few letters sent to the committee:
>
>    http://jyx.com/hr105-108-pt2.htm  (87K)
>
> As before offered, see HR 105-108, Part 1, published at the end of
> May:
>
>    http://jyx.com/hr105-108-pt2.txt  (94K)
>
> Note: that's JYX.COM, (same as 108240.primehost.com)
> our temp site to fill in for remanded JYA which  is to be unJimmed
> soon, isn't it, your honor, what stink you screeching about, that's
> just rotting pork.

Thread