1997-07-01 - Re: Free markets and crypto

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 11a26a2bf353f7f358ac2f41ff5914bb41f9ea3278d56f71ca40da134cfa13e8
Message ID: <v03007804afdee11ed5eb@[168.161.105.191]>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970630195816.4992H-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-01 16:55:08 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 00:55:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 00:55:08 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Free markets and crypto

I of course agree with Tim. Corporations are merely voluntary collections
of individuals.

As for civil rights laws: in my dark moments, I want to add a button to my
web page: "Only click here if you are (or are not) Irish." Or "No African
Americans allowed." Or "Nobody over 60 years old permitted." I wonder,
would I be in violation of Title 7?

-Declan

At 08:29 -0700 7/1/97, Tim May wrote:
>Unfortunately, there is a growing distinction being made between "voluntary
>transactions" of _people_ and of _corporations_.
>
>(The most stunning example of this, as Declan of course knows, being the
>"Title 7" stuff in the Civil Rights Act, which takes away a person's right
>to associtate with persons with whom he wishes to associate--he can't
>choose to hire only Chinese, or no cripples, or only Mormons, and so on.)
>
>And in the crypto debate, the term "market" has mostly been interpreted by
>people to mean: Netscape, Microsoft, PGP, RSADSI, C2net, Verisign, etc.
>
>I don't believe corporations have any more rights--or any more
>restrictions--than individuals do. So in this sense I agree with Declan's
>point. But my view is in a minority.
>
>Thus, care is warranted when discussing "market solutions."

Thread