1997-07-04 - Re: Clinton nixes domestic encryption right

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: mac-crypto@thumper.vmeng.com
Message Hash: 1ebdac26664b68af1f0003c526ffaf79e0ed02e2aefc8e147be56b7a7cfe8b34
Message ID: <v03020909afe29bfd1e58@[139.167.130.247]>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 21:43:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 21:43:37 +0800
To: mac-crypto@thumper.vmeng.com
Subject: Re: Clinton nixes domestic encryption right

--- begin forwarded text

Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 1997 17:10:46 -0400
Sender:       Law & Policy of Computer Communications
              <CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
From:         "Tom W. Bell" <tbell@CATO.ORG>
To:           CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

Phill writes:

>Stuart Baker claims that Gore is the main administration supporter of GAK.
>But others have claimed the exact opposite. I suspect that if Gore really
>supported the GAK idea he would do so publically and explicitly, its a vote
>winner.

For what it's worth, I had dinner Monday with two people from Gore's office
and one of Microsoft's officers.  The Gore people consistently demanded
mandatory key escrow, though they seemed willing to allow private parties to
do the job so long as GAK remained an option.  The Microsoft person only
went so far as to offer to always make key escrow a *feature*, arguing that
this would in practice get the administration all the GAK it wants because
almost everyone would want to escrow their private keys.

The debate unfolded something like this:

Gore people:  "People using really strong encryption will *want* to escrow
their keys.  Otherwise, lost keys will result in irretrievably lost data."

MS person:  "Oh, sure--especially commerical players.  But you underestimate
the amount of resistance *mandated* escrowing will create.  People want to
*choose* to escrow.  If you let them, they will."

Gore people:  "Well, if they're going to escrow anyhow, what's the problem
with mandating it?"

MS person:  "You don't get it.  Our customers care deeply about their
encryption rights, and we want happy customers.  If the administration will
just back off, it will get what it wants--or, at least, as much as it can at
any rate expect."

It presented a classic case of cultural conflict--in this case, political
cultural confronting commercial culture.

Tom W. Bell
tbell@cato.org
Director, Telecommunications and Technology Studies
The Cato Institute

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/

Thread