1997-07-08 - Re: Dr. Dobbs Cryptography and Security CD-ROM

Header Data

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
To: Mike <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 207b360f337b9add737bf86283206ed4bc6b4abf09e00b1a08648e85bceb1631
Message ID: <v0300781fafe76440a9bd@[207.94.249.161]>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970707141240.00967c00@localhost>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-08 05:18:14 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 13:18:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 13:18:14 +0800
To: Mike <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Dr. Dobbs Cryptography and Security CD-ROM

At 5:12 AM -0700 7/7/97, Mike wrote:
>Bill Frantz wrote:
>>Excuse me.  Certain parts of that CDROM are already available overseas.
>>If they are not posted to the net how does that prevent them from being
>>available overseas?
>
>You mean that it would be fine for foreigners to copy and sell the CD, but
>not to put it on the net? Well, copyright law being what it is, makes this
>a bit tricky. An ftp administrator have never been sentenced for copyright
>violation (please correct me if I'm wrong), but CD copiers are thrown in jail
>all the time. The distinction that the courts make is that of profit.
>
>Sure, they can buy the book, but the electronic version is obviously more
>useful to some people, or there wouldn't be any market for it.
>
>I know foreigners who would like to put a copy of Applied Cryptography in
>their PalmPilots, to carry around for reference. They can't do that legaly,
>and that makes crypto less accessible.

You will have to decide for yourself how important the extra "convenience"
of an electronic copy is compared with the publisher's stated intent to
"never do this again" if it is posted.  It is a simple case of future
benefit vs. immediate gratification.

Bill Frantz       | The Internet was designed  | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | to protect the free world  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | from hostile governments.  | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread