1997-07-08 - Re: [MILCOM] NSA: struggling with diversity …

Header Data

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@issl.atl.hp.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net (Cypherpunks List)
Message Hash: 4a5d54090ead9799048015e9f3f1bc6398384db0a3bc5f38703f46a45589cf20
Message ID: <199707081509.LAA18680@jafar.issl.atl.hp.com>
Reply To: <199707080601.IAA14197@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-08 15:07:53 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 23:07:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@issl.atl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 23:07:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net (Cypherpunks List)
Subject: Re: [MILCOM] NSA: struggling with diversity ...

Anonymous writes:

> There is no place any longer in the world for an agency like the NSA.
> It is an enemy to freedom and an enemy to the free citizenry of its
> own country.
>
> We need a new agency, one to defend us against infowar, to help
> industrial competitiveness, to assist Americans in retaining their
> freedoms rather than attempting to strip them away for its own evil
> purposes.  Let us hope that the changing of the guard at the NSA will
> lead to a rebirth and a renewal as an agency looking forward, rather
> than one concerned only with guarding its own rear.

Anonymous must work for CDT or VTW or some other beltway agency.
Even while decrying the corruption and waste in this government agency,
he feels compelled to reconstitute it with a New and Better version.

His proposition that a new agency could "help industrial competitive-
ness" and "defend us against infowar" is ludicrous and insupportable.
And how can one even keep a straight face while proposing a government
agency to help us "retain [our] freedoms"?

-- Jeff

Thread