1997-07-30 - Re: Entrust Technologies’s Solo - free download

Header Data

From: tzeruch@ceddec.com
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 4d5e9448affaaea0b05910722b260d2f2ddb47fc1bf0a6b83d4246276a2216a6
Message ID: <97Jul30.141811edt.32257@brickwall.ceddec.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.96.970730083903.11314E-100000@fractal.mta.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-30 18:35:57 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 02:35:57 +0800

Raw message

From: tzeruch@ceddec.com
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 02:35:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Entrust Technologies's Solo - free download

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Michael C Taylor wrote:

> Entrust Technologies (www.entrust.com) has made Solo available for
> download, free for 30-day evaluation & edu/non-profit. For Win95/NT.
> A mere $49 Cdn (~35 US) for commerical usage...
>
> For e-mail / file encryption, digital signature
>
> Solo uses 128-bit encryption, which is CAST-128, the royality-free
> algorithm invented at Entrust/NorTel. It also uses 1024-bit RSA public-key
> cryptography and has DES, Triple DES available.

It would be interesting to know how they managed to do it.  The fine print
in the license says it cannot be exported from the US and Canada without a
license (which a second press release says they have, but doesn't say they
had to do anything to the program in order to obtain it).

> Also follows FIPS 140-1 validated security kernel. It is compatible with
> other Solo clients (of course), Entrust/Lite and Entrust.
>
> It looks like PGP Inc might have some decent competition. I assume that
> it won't have the market pentration of PGP, but at least it will make a
> dent and might force PGP Inc. to make their product robust and flexiable.

PGP 5 uses CAST (and 3DES and IDEA), with DH/DSA/SHA (or MD5 or RIPEM, and
with an RSA backward mode).  Does anyone know which hash algorithm
Entrust/Solo uses?

> "Offer not valid in Libya, Iran, Iraq, Cuba, Angola, Syria, and North
> Korea"

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---

Thread